I woke up this morning right at 3am which is the time that Tyler was born. It is so amazing how our minds and bodies know that kind of thing. One year ago, I was just starting a journey that I never imagined I would survive. I thought I was going to be lost in the pit forever, but I wasn't. I made it and I am ok. I realized laying there this morning that even though I miss Tyler and wish he was still here, my grief and sadness still aren't for him. He is in the best place possible and will never have to feel the pain and agony of this earth. I, on the other hand, still do. The memories still hurt and so do some of the regrets. I didn't hold him and didn't even look at him. I know that for me, that was for the best, but it is so hard not to look back and wish I had done things differently. What I have realized though, is that there is no perfect way to give birth and say goodbye to a dead baby. No matter what choices you make, there will always be something you wish you did different. I know that God guided those decisions for me and led me to do what would be best in the long run. Just like I know it was God that made Dr C say it was a boy whether he really was or not.
I was talking to Mark about Tyler this morning and he told me that I should just be happy that I made it through this year ok and that we have another baby coming (not that he would replace Tyler, but it's ok to be happy anyway). He's right. I need to look at this year and how much I have grown and overcome. I was reading my Bible yesterday and that pesky verse came up again "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thess 5:21 (?). I have so much to be thankful for, even as much as my heart hurts today.
One thing I am very thankful for, is that now that I look back, I see that God prepared me to handle this. The first thing that comes to mind is back when I was in high school, our band director's baby died right before it was due and his wife still had to give birth. I remember thinking about how hard that would be and how I could never do that. (have you ever noticed that when you say that, you end up having to do it?) I had never heard of anything like that happening before and for some reason, that has stuck in my head all these years. The next thing is a friend of mine had quadruplets and their son Hunter passed away after they were born. They had the most amazing attitude in trusting God and praising him even through the worst of times. I remember realizing that God was taking me on a journey of faith, even though I really didn't understand what that meant. I could see God working through them and helping them make it through that very difficult time of losing a baby, praising God for the others, and having faith that they would be ok. (They are now very healthy, active 2 yr olds!). Then, Mark's aunt Sharon died very suddenly and unexpectedly. Her kids handled it with such grace and peace that it helped me realize the power of God can help you through anything when you lean on him. He planted the seeds before I was even pregnant with Tyler about faith and leaning on him. I didn't understand one bit of it then, but boy I do now.
Tyler, I miss you. You will always have your own special place in my heart. You made such an impact on my life in just the short time that I had with you.
Thank you God for letting me have him and for all of the good you've brought to me through him. Thank you for guiding me and holding me through it all.
I have new pictures of the baby, all is fine. I'll post them tomorrow and just let this be Tyler's day.
2 comments:
Happy Birthday Tyler.
I nominated your mom for an award, because I think she is awesome.
Happy Birthday Tyler! I love you and miss you so much. This is your day, as the song says, "this a day that the Lord hath made, let us be glad and rejoice in it." So today, I am rejoicing for you and I will be glad that you were here even if for such a little while to touch our hearts.
Post a Comment