Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Zoloft and other nonrelated topics

I decided that it was time for me to wean off the Zoloft, things had been going good and I hate relying on medicine. It didn't work out so well. I turned in to a raging lunatic, every little sound, touch, or nothing made steam come out of my ears! I couldn't figure out what on earth was wrong with me - I wanted to hurt someone (not literally so don't freak out). I couldn't stand the sight of my kids or the sounds of their voices and then I was mad b/c I felt that way about them. I finally realized that it was the medication - or lack of - that was causing all that. So now after 4 days of being back on it full time, things are starting to calm down. I was really worried I was having a nervous breakdown or something, I cannot describe how awful it was. I think I'm going to give it awhile and then try lowering the daily dosage.

New baby - my last cousin is having her baby today. I get so tense and anxious when I know they are in labor, I hope that everything turns out fine and she will never know what it's like to be in this "club". At the same time, I am thinking about how I will handle this baby. Tyler wasn't due until July, but since all of my boys were early, he would have been here sometime around now. Every time I see her, I wonder if I will think about how Tyler would look or what he would be doing or will I be so happy just to see her that I won't care. I have finally wrapped my brain around the "should be" and the "would be". I know I am right where I should be, but I can't help but think where I would be if all this hadn't happened. Then I remind myself, that things may not have been so great and we may have had a worse struggle than we are having now. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. I probably would have been on medication, bedrest, and miserable for the last few weeks, labor may not have gone so good, he may not have been healthy, or so many other things. I know that I have to be happy and thankful for where the Lord has brought me, but sometimes I can't help but think of that alternate universe where things were going to be so good. In one universe, we have a newborn healthy baby, and in this one, there is no baby, life has moved on and it's almost like it never happened. There are new plans and vacations that were never supposed to be possible. But, I have to say, even without Tyler, this side of the universe isn't all that bad. I am getting to do things with the boys that I wouldn't have gotten to do otherwise.
Now I have some confessions to make - I am making them here instead of on the confessions post but I don't know why.
1. I thought about grabbing another baby. Gasp! Mark and I were out to eat after our Dr appt confirming Tyler's death. When we walked out, there was a baby in a carrier on a bench while the others were looking at a fountain. I whispered to Mark, "grab it!". Was I really going to? NO!! Did I want to? Well, yes. I understand now how someone who isn't mentally stable and has experienced a loss could snap and do something like that though.
2. I yell at my kids. I know I am probably the mom that frustrates the women w/o living babies b/c my kids drive me crazy in public and sometimes I lose it. That doesn't mean that I don't realize what a blessing they are and how lucky I am to have them, it means I am a sometimes frustrated mom who is not perfect.
3. I feel better when I take some time each day to read other DeadBabyMama blogs and read the boards for a little while. I feel bad that I am not posting as much to the other moms, but I just don't have the time to get in that frame of mind and get it all out there.
4. I have come to accept Tyler's loss and it is a part of my life. It is so hard in a conversation not to bring it up, as in "before we lost Tyler", "when I was pg with Tyler", "after we lost Tyler". These are 3 distinct periods in my life that span the last 8 months of my life. I hate that when I say something like that, people's eyes get big and it's like I've said something I'm not supposed to. Example: we were at a wedding the other night and several of my girlfriends and I were sitting around the table teasing J about needing to find a sugar daddy. One commented that she thought I had already done that (dh bought me a new car a few weeks after Tyler died). I laughed and said "No, that was a pity present, Mark just felt sorry for me". My friend next to me (who was with me at my u/s by the way) said why would he do that? I kind of just looked at her - I hadn't wanted to explain it, the dinner table at a wedding reception really isn't the place but she didn't get it. So I said "because the baby died". Her eyes got big and she just sat back in her chair and didn't say anything else. I hate the awkwardness that it brings with it.
5. And, I realized I don't call Tyler by his name when I'm talking, just "the baby". I wonder why.

Woo, that ended up being long. I think I need to get back to writing more often.
Oh, and for those of you who are questioning God or are mad at Him, He is still there with you and holding you. He doesn't cause this to happen to you. We live in an imperfect world full of horrible things. This verse is courtesy of Pastor Cecil (www.daily-e-votional.com) yesterday:
I Peter 4:12-14
"Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when His glory is revealed."
I know that sounds ridiculous, but it is true. All of us will endure suffering and loss. The only choice we have is if we look up or down.

1 comment:

B's Mom said...

I have to tell you, I NEVER say Brenna's name. Ever. I always call her "the baby". I don't know why either. The only thing I can think of is it makes her less real, if you know what I mean. Like, it's less personal, less painful if I just call her the baby. I don't know if you know what I'm saying or not. I really don't know how to explain it, but I do know what you mean.

Also, I was very suprised at how many people seem to have lost their faith after their loss. That doesn't mean I wasn't angry at God, and wanted to know why this happened. I really did. But, I think when a tragedy happens it either strengthens your faith, or not.

Take care of yourself.

Holli

(Sorry for such a long comment. yikes!)